Friday, July 9, 2010

About Kin and Kind

What is this blog about?
This blog is the 'home base' for the bibliography I am assembling. I am collecting research and commentaries of various kinds on the subject of "The Link". That is, the connections between abuse of animals and interpersonal violence (e.g. domestic abuse, assault, murder).

Who are You?
Emily Patterson-Kane, an animal welfare scientist.

Why are you doing this?
I started researching this topic after attending the Strategizing the Link meeting in June 8 - 9, 2008. I wrote a paper with Heather Piper entitled Animal Abuse as a Sentinel for Human Violence: A Critique which was published in the Journal of Social Issues.

Where does the blog name come from?
The reference is to a line from Hamlet "A little more than kin, and less than kind." In the play Hamlet is describing his conflicted relationship with Claudius who is more than just family being a mentor, friend and uncle--but also causing great pain by marrying Hamlet's mother shortly after his father died. I think there is a parallel to our relationship with animals as both our closest and most faithful friends, but also frequently mis-used, abused and discarded property.

A close second choice would be "Much Cherishing".

Romeo: I would I were thy bird.
Juliet: Sweet, so would I, Yet I should kill thee with much cherishing.

No comments: